Bay Minette Truck Accident Attorneys
Bay Minette has its fair share of truck accidents. With rt. 31 and rt. 59 providing access to businesses such as Walmart on McMeans Ave, and other destinations, commercial big rig trucks are commonplace in Bay Minette. Therefore, the chances of a collision with one of these trucks is increasing each day.
What to Do at the Scene of a Truck Accident
When you’re hit by a truck, it’s easy to panic and let adrenaline take over. But if you can stay calm and finish a few important tasks, you’ll set yourself up to get the medical care you need and protect your right to seek compensation. Follow these steps after a crash:
- Assess everyone quickly for injuries. Truck collisions are often far more dangerous than crashes that only involve passenger vehicles, so check your passengers and yourself for obvious injuries.
- Call 911. Tell them about any injuries caused by the accident and if you are able to leave the vehicle safely. In some truck accidents, the car is pinned underneath the truck, and trying to leave too quickly could be dangerous. Stay on the line until help arrives.
- Move away from the scene if the truck was carrying hazardous materials. Hazmat trucks are often carrying dangerous gas or liquid chemicals. If this is the case, an explosion could happen at any moment, and you need to move from the crash.
- Take pictures and video footage. The crash will be cleaned up by the time you’re able to return to the scene. As long as it is safe to do so, take pictures and video footage to capture the crash.
- Only speak to the driver to exchange contact and insurance information. Some truck companies respond swiftly to truck accidents, sending in attorneys and investigators at the scene itself. If this occurs, don’t talk to anyone. Just exchange contact and insurance information.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Get checked out at a local facility like North Baldwin Infirmary, Infirmary Health Urgent Care, or North Baldwin Primary Plus. If you’ve suffered any life-threatening injuries, catching them early could save your life or improve your prognosis.
- Talk to an attorney. The sooner you can talk to a truck accident lawyer in Bay Minette, the better. You’ll want to provide them with your evidence and discuss your options.
Alabama Truck Crash Statistics
Truck crashes have become increasingly common in Alabama, with the number of accidents increasing from 2012 until 2019. While the number did dip slightly in 2020, that may be a result of the pandemic. Fatalities have ranged from 89 to 157 between 2011 and 2020 with a general upward trend.
Interstates, such as nearby I-65, are the most common place for truck accidents. However, state routes and U.S. routes like Highway 287 and U.S. Highway 31 are also fairly dangerous for drivers. Common causes of trucking accidents in Alabama include unsafe lane changes, a failure to yield right of way, unseen obstacles, and tailgating.
How Truck Accidents Are More Complicated Than Other Types of Collisions
No matter which type of vehicle accident you’re involved in, you can expect some stress as you deal with insurance companies and fight for compensation. Unfortunately, truck accidents are considerably more complicated than crashes involving passenger vehicles. To start, a lot more people are involved in the crash beyond just the two drivers.
Other potentially liable parties include the truck driver’s employer, the company that manufactured the truck, the company contracted to maintain the truck, the cargo loader, and the owner of the cargo. When an accident occurs, all of these parties have an interest in proving that they are not liable.
This doesn’t make it any easier for you to figure out who is liable and who will be paying your expenses. No one cares about proving liability unless it means proving their lack of involvement. This can make it extremely difficult to get the compensation you deserve after a collision.
Additionally, there is substantially more evidence in a truck accident than in other types of traffic crashes. Not only do you have the crash scene itself, but you also have the truck’s black box and the truck logs. These can be helpful if your attorney suspects that the driver ignored federal break laws and mileage limits, or if impairment may be at play. While extra evidence can benefit you, getting your hands on it is tricky without an attorney.
Why You Need a Truck Accident Attorney—and Why You Should Choose Wilkins, Bankester, Biles & Wynne
When you choose the team at Wilkins, Bankester, Biles & Wynne, you can rest easy knowing that we are aggressively pursuing compensation on your behalf. We know exactly how devastating a truck crash can be and we fully understand that your future hinges on our ability to recover fair and full compensation. Between medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage, every part of your financial future could rely on a successful settlement or court award.
Determining liability is a big part of the accident claim process. As soon as an accident occurs, the truck driver’s side leaps into action. Trucking companies often have large legal teams that look for ways to deny credibility, bury hours-of-service violations, and limit the amount of money the trucking company loses. The longer you wait to hire an attorney, the more of a jumpstart they get. By the time you realize you’re in over your head and hire an attorney, they could have all sorts of plans already in motion.
If you don’t successfully negotiate compensation from the other party, you could be stuck with medical bills, repair costs, or the cost of a new vehicle, and lost income. Commercial trucks have large insurance policies attached to them specifically to cover the costs of these collisions, so don’t let them off scot-free.
We take that responsibility seriously, and you can trust our commitment to your claim. As we work to determine the liable party, we’ll start building a case that proves your damages and holds the right party accountable. Through extensive analysis of evidence and a clear explanation of your damages, we’ll fight for every penny you deserve.
Schedule Your Consultation with Wilkins, Bankester, Biles & Wynne Now
Don’t wait any longer to schedule your truck accident claim consultation. Evidence degrades rapidly, and the longer you wait, the harder it will be to prove your case. We’re here and ready to work on your case. Call our Bay Minette office at 251-937-7024 or contact us online to get started.