Personal Injury Attorneys in Bay Minette
There are a lot of benefits of living in Bay Minette, however, the possibility of being hurt is always a reality here. An injury caused by someone else’s negligence can be physically, mentally, and financially devastating.
If you’ve suffered an injury because of another person’s carelessness or malice, it may be time to seek compensation with a personal injury claim. Our team of Fairhope personal injury attorneys is ready to fight by your side. Call us at 251-928-1915 to get started.
What is Personal Injury Law?
Personal injury law is part of the civil court system. While criminal law holds people accountable through penalties, fines, and prison time, the civil court system exists for the benefit of the victim. Someone may face both criminal charges and a civil case for the same event, but they are entirely separate legal matters.
Do I Have a Case?
You’ve been injured and you’re fairly sure someone else is responsible for your injuries—but do you have a case? The best way to find out is to meet with our team of Fairhope personal injury attorneys. We can take a look at your claim and the evidence supporting it, then decide if pursuing compensation is a good use of your time.
Personal injury claims hinge on liability. If you can prove liability, you may be able to secure a settlement from the other party. There are several components in liability for any personal injury claim:
- A duty of care. A duty of care must exist from the liable party to the other party. For example, a driver has an automatic duty of care to others on the road around them. They are expected to do what it takes to protect others from danger by driving safely.
- A violation of the duty of care. The other party must have clearly violated that duty of care. In the given example, imagine that the other driver texted while driving. It would be reasonable to expect them to keep their attention on the road, so they breached their duty.
- The violation led to an accident. The other party’s failure to fulfill their duty of care must directly cause an accident. In this example, the texting driver did not notice a vehicle ahead of them stopping to allow a pedestrian to cross. They slammed into the other driver’s back end, which would not have happened if they had been driving safely.
- Your injuries were the result of the accident. Because of the accident, the victim must have diagnosed injuries. In this case, the driver of the other car had a severe case of whiplash, a broken tooth, and a torn leg muscle. These are all the direct result of the other driver’s actions.
How Much is My Case Worth?
This is perhaps one of the most frequently asked questions we get. Unfortunately, there’s no quick answer for it. The only way to know what your case is worth is to talk to a personal injury lawyer. We will take a look at your injuries, the accident that caused them, and the evidence you have supporting your claim.
If you have a strong case, you could be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including future medical costs if you have a severe injury
- Lost wages, including future lost income if you are now unable to work because of your injury
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
What Should I Do After an Accident?
Acting quickly and taking the right steps after an accident can protect your claim and help you seek compensation. We recommend:
- Reporting the accident to the proper authorities. The party you contact depends on what type of injury it is. You should report a car accident to the City of Fairhope Police Department and a dog bite to Fairhope Animal Control. A slip and fall should be reported to the property owner.
- Gathering time-sensitive evidence. Some evidence is only available for a short time. Make sure you document it immediately. For example, at a car crash scene, you’ll want to take photos and video before the vehicles are moved. If someone stops to help after an injury, get their contact information so they can give eyewitness testimony.
- Getting checked out by a doctor. Prompt medical care can help you get the treatment you need and give you valuable evidence for your claim. Keep copies of any paperwork you receive.
- Contacting a personal injury lawyer. Time starts running out on your claim as soon as your accident occurs. Hiring an attorney gives you a fair shot at holding the other party accountable.
How Can Wilkins, Bankester, Biles & Wynne Help Me?
The team of personal injury lawyers at Wilkins, Bankester, Biles & Wynne are ready to fight for you as you pursue compensation for your injuries. We know how an unexpected injury can upend every part of your life, from your career and independence to your relationships and financial stability. While money doesn’t make up for everything you lose in an accident, it can help you get on the road to recovery and get the treatment you need.
We’ve built our careers fighting against insurance companies that want to deny victims their fair compensation in order to boost their profits. As a result, we know what it takes to get insurance adjusters to fold and offer what you deserve. If negotiations are unsuccessful, we are ready to take your case to court and fight for you there. You will be supported and informed every step of the way.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Team Now
When you choose our law firm, you can feel good knowing your case is in capable hands. Set up a consultation now to learn more. Call us at 251-928-1915 or get in touch online to schedule a consultation right away.